Monday, June 2, 2008

It's the Little Things

You know how it's easy to forget the little things in life?
Tonight I was reminded of the simple joys in life that crop up when you least expect it.
N made quesadillas for supper with a side of corn. It was quite good. K was eating very well. Suddenly, she says "I think I'll eat the corn". Then I could see her trying to loosen up a piece that was stuck in her teeth with her tongue. She had this look on her face. It was utter confusion mixed with concentration as she tried in vain to loosen the stuck corn. I looked at N and we both started cracking up. I asked if she had a piece stuck and she said yes. Then she started laughing too. She kept trying to loosen it and we all kept laughing. It never occurred to me that she hadn't experienced that before, but I guess we all have a first time for everything. I told her that it would come out when we brush her teeth. You know how you can't leave it alone though. she kept trying and it was sooooooooo cute. It struck my funny bone and we all kept giggling as she tried all our suggestions. Eat another bite of Quesadilla. No luck. Drink some milk. No luck. I am giggling just thinking about it. Finally she says " I'm done daddy". I asked if she wanted to go brush her teeth and she said yes. So we go in to remove the stuck corn. By the time we got the toothpaste on the brush she had worked it loose. I could see her chewing on it and she stated "I eat the corn daddy" I asked if she got it loose and she said "I ate it daddy" and then we both laughed some more. We brushed her teeth anyway to get anything else that might be stuck.
I love it. I love the firsts. I know some firsts will be more exciting and some will be sad and some will be significant, but that one was just tremendous. I forget how much these kids can teach me sometimes. Like just being in the moment, so I don't forget how much joy can come from something so simple as eating supper together.

I thought of something I don't want to forget while I was writing this. That is the way K says J's name. Dak. "where's Dak daddy?"

No comments: