Monday, June 9, 2008

First Date

N suggested that K and I go have some daddy daughter time while she was napping on Sunday. I thought that seemed like a good idea since we usually only get time as a threesome with J. I love that too, but recognize that we are going to need some one on one time occasionally. J and I will need that too at some point. Kung fu panda was just released so I thought taking her to a movie would be fun. Then maybe some dinner somewhere special like Mcdonalds. I hope that will always be a special treat. I don't want my kids to think that is what people normally eat. I don't eat it very often and am always amazed at how salty it is when I do. anyway, so it was decided. movie and dinner. and a quick stop at Kroger on the way home for some essentials. A good date plan.
I asked her, when she awoke, if she would like to go to the movies with me. I have never seen her get so excited at the prospect before. I went to clean up and change first as I had been working in the yard and was hot and sweaty. When I got ready and came downstairs, K had put on her pretty new dress and was all made up for our date. She strutted around in it so that I could see how pretty she looked. Then she announced "I look like a beautiful Princess", and I agreed. So off we went.
We made it through the fifteen minutes of commercials and trailers and crap they put in front of movies nowadays. Then the movie started and after about five minutes K looks up at me and says "I'm done watching the movie daddy". So off to the lobby we went. She was ready to play. she wanted me to chase her around the lobby. Perhaps it was the candy and lemonade coming back to haunt me. I let her burn a bit of energy and then tried to take her back to the theatre. No luck. She simply wanted to play. I gave her a choice. The movie or going home and she started to squeal. So off we went. I was so disappointed. I wanted it to be a great day out for us. I guess I have to watch out for that. I got my expectations up and forgot that she is still only two. So we went to Kroger for some groceries.
I called N and she was supportive and suggested that we still get a bite to eat. After that I was encouraged and K seemed interested in the movie again. Off we went to see the ending. We caught about ten minutes this time and then she had to go potty. At least she let me know instead of having an accident. The bathroom was not in the best shape as most men's rooms aren't, so I didn't know how she would do with me holding her while she went. I guess she had to go bad enough because she did great. I was very proud of her. We did end up seeing the last ten minutes or so of the movie. It was nice.
Back at Kroger, we found our cart still sitting there with our groceries in it. It gave us some time to talk about how nice the movie was. She wanted to tell mommy all about it. Last stop was Mcdonalds. She did very well and was well behaved. In an amazing sort of coincidence, the toy in the happy meal was the kung fu panda, so it all kind of fit together nicely.
So, in the end, it all worked out very nicely and we had a wonderful "date". She was so excited that she talked non stop for 15 minutes when we got home telling mommy all about it. I realized that no matter what else happens I have to make sure to take time to have these kinds of one on one times with my kids. Even if it is just something simple and sort of unspectacular.
I remember the few times I got to spend time by myself with my dad when I was a kid in vivid technicolor detail. I grew up in a family with six kids, so it was a rare moment but it was very special to me. It made me feel like I was the center of the universe for a few amazing hours before returning to my place in the melee. I hope it will mean as much to my kids.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time. Kate has already told me all about itand is still very excited and grinning ear to ear. ;)

Anonymous said...

How sweet!