Sunday, April 20, 2008

World Class Chef to World Class Dad or How to Change your Profession and still be Happy

I was standing in my kitchen today, cooking. J was in his little seat on the counter watching my every move. K and N were napping. I put Steely Dan on the stereo and I started thinking. Cooking gives me the opportunity to do that. It always has had that kind of soothing meditative quality for me. I can just get inside my head and create. I have always loved that about this art. It's like, somehow, the chaos of the kitchen and the incredible amount of multi tasking forces me to become more centered on the inside to be able to keep it all in perspective. Anyone who has worked in a professional kitchen knows what I mean.
I was making J some baby food. I thought to myself, I have cooked in some amazing places and restaurants and have cooked for many famous and not so famous people. Somehow, none of that seems as gratifying as cooking my little man his food. I felt as if I had trained my whole life to be able to make the perfect peas, applesauce and sweet potatoes to nourish this amazing little person. I remember feeling this way when I was making K's baby food too. It is such a simple thing and yet it gives me great satisfaction knowing I am helping them to grow healthy and strong.
I am asked all the time why on earth I would give up being a Chef that took me all over the world and allowed me to meet and cook for some really interesting people, to be an insurance agent. Yeah, I wonder that too sometimes. But the answer has always been the same simple answer that I always give. So I can be there for my wife and kids. At the end of the day, they are more important to me than any job could be. Insurance allows me to be around for them in the evenings and weekends and holidays. After all, what would I have without being a big part of their lives? I wouldn't want to miss out on any more than absolutely necessary. Has it always been a dream of mine to work in the insurance industry studying risk and so on? of course not. But it is interesting and pays well enough and allows me to be home with my little family. That is where the true happiness lies. Well, when my wife and I aren't wanting to kill each other anyway. :)
I am also asked all the time, do I miss it? The answer is yes. I miss the pace, believe it or not, and the people and the satisfaction you get when the night is finished and everyone is full of good food and happy. The sense of accomplishment you get from knowing there is no putting off anything until tomorrow. You have to put it all on the table each night. (Pardon the pun)

But, do I miss it more than I would miss hearing K's little feet running through the house when I get home? More than hearing her say "father bear(sometimes Daddy), you're hoooooome!" as she wraps her arms around my legs and looks up into my eyes with that gorgeous smile? More than seeing J's big blue eyes light up when I walk into the room and seeing his chubby cheeks ball up in a big toothless grin?
NO WAY.
That is where the happiness lies. In each new adventure.

OK, maybe not world class, but a guy can dream can't he?

4 comments:

Christina Schmidt said...

Please share recipes for the baby food!!! We made our own baby food as well but I realize now that we picked some boring foods. Another blogger that I read combines things to make amazing sounding foods for her little guy! I would like to be more adventurous this time around - well, I say me but Kevin did all the cooking really ;)

Oh and more stories about being a chef to famous and not so famous people, please!

Kelly said...

All I can say is I always leave your house happy and full of good food. You can cook for us anytime! :)

K and J's mom said...

We are ALL so happy that you cook at home! I'm pretty sure we'd all starve if you didn't! :)

Emily Headley said...

I'm just sorry we left when we did. I really think that Nathan would have enjoyed learning from you. He loves to cook and is learning as he goes. I too would love your baby food recipes. :)