Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Big 3





Well, I can't believe it. K is about to turn three. It just doesn't seem that long ago that I was holding this little 4.5 lb. girl for the first time. Now she is so big. I am amazed sometimes when I look at her and it seems that she has grown overnight. She is so curious about the world and so sweet. She has started the Whys. She wants to know everything. N started to cry yesterday when she realized K is turning three. K wanted to know why she was sad. N said she wasn't sad, she was crying from happiness. K seemed a little confused by that but later said that mommy was crying because she was happy.



I love the ordinary moments that kids seem to be able to make extraordinary. We were having some ice cream yesterday and K looked up and said, 'be careful everyone, the ice cream is really tricky.' I am not sure what she meant but it was a very funny moment. Today, I was reading a book with K before nap time. Well, actually she was reading it to me. She has been doing that lately making up great stories to match the pictures. I was holding J on her bed as she read. J was playing with a yellow balloon. Suddenly, he realized that he could see through it as he held it up to his face. He started moving the balloon away to make sure it was the same things that he was looking at through the balloon. Pretty soon it became a game. it was like his own little hide and seek game. It was fascinating to watch. All the while K was making up a story to go with the pictures in the new little bear book she got from her grandma for her birthday. An extraordinary moment in our lives and all we were doing was reading a bedtime story. I love it.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!

I am so glad that we are able to share in Kate's life with you guys. It's been amazing to see her grow into the beautiful, caring little girl that she has become. Keep enjoying those extraordinary simple moments.